Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"I Always Feels Like Somebody's Watching Me"

Today Superkid requested a cup of REALLY cold water. I pulled a jug of water out of the fridge and poured him a cup. His eyes got really big and he yelled, "NO MOM! THAT WATER IS FOR THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!" Upon which I calmly grabbed the phone and called his father to find out what kind of millennial junk he was filling Superkid's head with. Pops had a good laugh and said that he hadn't said a thing to Superkid about fire and brimstone and the importance of a year's supply of food and water. Apparently Superkid had just been eaves dropping as we were joking about how we will be living fat when the world ends as we were loading our shelves with food/water donated from moving friends.
And as for Abizella, I couldn't be more proud. I recently picked up a pair of purple sneakers for her sprouting feet (two sizes this summer!!!!). When we got home from the store, with great urgency she quickly got the shoes out of the bag, put them on and had me tie them. Then she looked up at me and said, "Now I can grow up and go running with you Mom!" Which has to be the most endearing thing she has said to me to date. I was a little surprised that she knew that I like to run. I do it before she gets up in the morning and don't ever talk about it. She did see me at the marathon, but that can hardly be characterized as running. She is firm in her conviction to go running with me, she won't even take her shoes off to sleep, and she insists that I wear my running shoes too. She asks me all the time now, "Can we hold hands when we run?" Nothing would make me happier!

6 comments:

Cal said...

okay, so I know this probably isn't an appropriate place to ask this, but what is your married name? why does your hubby look so familiar, it is driving me crazy because I know I should know this!
That is cute what your little girl said! I need a little girl that wants to hang out with me!

Julie said...

I'm a little tired right now (yes, I know it's 2:30 in the afternoon) but that post almost had me in tears. That is the sweetest thing ever. My heart is a puddle.

Missletoe, ya gotta be doing something seriously right to be getting running love at that age.

Melissa Oman said...

Kids are so observant! I love their comments! It is so fun how responsible Super Kid is and how cute Abi is wanting to be like you!! I love reading your posts!

Cherisa said...

Too funny! Both of your kids come up with just amazing commentary on life (we'll have to wait on Tadpole's commentary). Gotta say a new pair of shoes inspires me to get moving, too, so Abizella and I have that in common. I, however, have no interest in running unless I'm being chased by a guy with a knife or something (and even that's negotiable).

Scullerina said...

So cute! I love the new shoes and I love the fact that she wants to run like you. Kids are so observant!

Jeni said...

How sweet. I love your kids' commentary