Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Comes to the Toads


It always takes me about a week after Thanksgiving to get in the swing of Christmas. But the wheels are finally in motion. I felt it was important to educate the children about Christmas so we pulled out the best nativity of all time, made by my favorite desert dwellers, long before any other Christmas fluff hit the scene. Each piece was lovingly cut from a block of wood by T. and painted by L.-er and now is cherished by our little toads. I re-enacted Christ's birth story for the children one evening, and now they love doing the same. My personal favorite is when Superkid loads the expectant Mary on the little donkey and starts knocking on fictitious doors looking for room at the inn. Then his "Halloween Dragon" swoops in the save the day...


To augment their Christmas education, I picked up a DVD collection of Christmas Classics. You know the ones... "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" etc. I thought it was important to get the kids properly psyched for Christmas. My sensitive Superkid ran and hid in the neighboring room whenever the Winter Warlock was in view. Abizella, on the other hand knew this Christmas stuff was important and therefore put forth all of her concentration power to study it out.


Pops was once again the tree master. He is not satisfied until every last strand of tinsel is in place. He makes it a real event. He popped in "The Christmas Story" and we ordered in Chinese. He did a GREAT job, and he really did ALL the job. He chose the tree, carried it into the house, set it up, ran out for new lights and decorations, and decorated it. He got a bit of help from his little toad-elves... but not much out of me. I busied myself with Tadpole and Christmas shopping.


But the best part of the Christmas season arriving is Santa Claus... and all this means to a 4yr.old. For the first time we have been able to use the jolly old man as an effective motivational tool. There is no doubt that old classic song, "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" was written by a parent. I love it. I just bust into shameless tune every time I hear a scuffle between the kids, or a little whining... "You better not cry, you better not shout, you better not pout I'm telling you why, Santa Claus is coming to town" Or I hear little kiddies that won't settle in to sleep... "He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake." I am thinking of adding my own verses about eating dinner and picking up toys to perfect the tune.

I almost don't want Christmas to ever come, except for one thing. I can't wait to see these kids Christmas morning. We got a little sneak peak last weekend. The morning after Pops set up the Christmas tree we were lying in bed early in the morning. Superkid has never been known as an early riser, but we heard his little voice from his bedroom, "Abizella, wake up!" and again, "Abizella, WAKE UP!" "Let's go see our presents!

Seriously! Will Christmas EVER come?

3 comments:

SandyKay said...

Boy, maybe I should start teaching AK about Santa Claus! I never realized the extent of the treachery...

Bam Pah said...

Toads: It makes me happy to think of you eating Chinesse and hanging out decorating trees, telling stories and such. Wish we were there or you were here. We had a great Smith annual party at our house last night. It is sad to see them all getting older and in declining health. I remember when they (we) were all your age. Time flies quickly. So savor every minute.

Glama said...

Ahhhh...reminds me of another great song often sung by my dear departed Mother when we would bicker.....I can never sing it or think of it without thinking of her.....I know you all know it...."Let Us Oft Speak Kind Words to Each Other".....I I have kinda a love/hate relationship with that song....
I think Brad is wonderful hanging all of that tinsel We dropped the tinsel years ago...much too labor intensive!