Monday, December 21, 2015

Glama and Bampa's Wedding


December 21, 2015

Dearest Family:
Mom and I want to share with you a very special time in the life of our family.  Since none of you were born I don’t remember seeing you at our wedding on MAY 27, 1970, you may have been sitting on a distant cloud watching and hopefully rejoicing.  You are the purpose of our existence and have added joy to our love.  It is only proper that you should have a record of the day that our family was sanctified before the Lord.

We will do subtitles of names of those shown in the pictures but if you look real close you will recognize the cast of characters.  Just add a little gray hair and several pounds to each picture and you will find the family you know.  The subtitles will help subsequent generations put names and faces to family members.

The day began when we arrived at the Salt Lake Temple about 6:00 in the morning.  Although the actual ceremony did not take place until after 9:00 there was advanced time for signing of the marriage license, dressing in Temple robes and of course the waiting time that goes with being Mormon.  It was so beautiful in the Temple we did not mind.  I arrived with my Mother and Aunt Peg and Uncle Rod; Suzi came with her Mother and Father.  We did not see each other until we arrived at the Sealing Room.

Grandmother Smith and Suzi attended to all of the details of the day except making the reservations for the Temple Sealing Room.  Your Mom was insistent that I do that.  When I called weeks in advance I encountered a very pleasant but precise Temple worker who was very officious about her duties:  Bride's name.  Groom's Name. Date of wedding.  Number in the wedding party. Stop!  When I said we needed the largest room she said, “Are you sure?  Everyone says that and then only have 5 or 6 people.  We try to get a very accurate count.”  Then she went on.  Do you have someone who will officiate?  I said yes it is President Joseph Fielding Smith.  Stop again!  “Are you sure?  Everyone wants the Prophet, he is a very busy man.  Are you sure he has agreed to do this?” Then she had some Family History questions:  Names of parents of the groom, Names of parents of the bride. Joseph Fielding Smith Jr.  Stop Again!  Silence.  More silence.  “Oh, yes Brother Davis.  We have reserved the largest room in the Temple and if there is anything extra that you may need, please ask.”
Grandfather Smith was ill the morning of the wedding so we were sealed by President Harold B. Lee.  He was the first councilor to Grandfather Smith and married us with a very spiritual, dignified service.  He made us promise to never go to bed angry at each other and to put each other first.

We took family pictures on the Temple grounds, and then had a wonderful wedding brunch at our family home on 2700 south.  Mom and my Aunts and cousins served great food.  Suzi and I took a nap (no messing around) and went to her family home on 1300 south.

That is the first I met Uncle Dave.  We were sitting in the gold chairs in the living room.  Catherine and Susan were about 4 and 6 years old respectfully and were playing “chase the sister” in the circle between the living room, kitchen and dining room.  After they had made the circle about 10 times Dave asks them to quit.  Hard as it is to believe, they kept it up.  After about 2 more circles Uncle Dave grabbed Catherine and swatted her on the rear end.  Suzi hesitantly walked by her Dad, tightly holding her bum and said “I think I will quit now”:  my first experience experiencing quality parenting.

We arrived at the wedding reception place on Highland Drive South of 3900 South before 5:00 pm.  We changed into the formal clothing and began the pictures.  I had forgotten to bring dark socks and traded the ones I was wearing with my Uncle Rod.

The reception was scheduled for 7:00-9:00.  It was a rainy night in May and over 1200 people came to the reception.  Most waited outside in the rain for a long period of time.  Grandfather Smith, Aunt Jessie, Uncle Bruce and Aunt Amelia Mc Conkie waited in the line, in the rain because Grandfather Smith would not “cut the line”.  It was a real lesson in humility.

My friend Bob Peterson was the first to greet our guests.  He stood just in front of Grandmother Smith.  She gave Bobby the good word.  “I have trouble with names, repeat every name, loudly”.  Bob did and she would say “Oh, you don’t have to introduce these people they are my oldest and dearest friends”.  When they had passed she would whisper to Bob “Good job Bob, keep it up”.
After 10:00 the line ended, we cut the cake.  Everyone was exhausted and when Suzi and I left no one said good bye.  No rice, no tears.

Professor Edwin Firmage and his family were in California that summer and he asked if we would stay in his home and take care of things.  We spent our honeymoon in a wonderful Holladay Estate on Arbor lane.  Bobby and his date rushed to the house after the reception, lit some candles, put some steaks on the BBQ and drew the bath water in advance of our arrival.  They went out the back door as we arrived at the front door.

We were so tired we put the food in the refrigerator and collapsed into bed.  Nothing to report that night except sleep.
The next day I missed a final in a Political Theory Class taught by Neal A. Maxwell and Mom needed to work on a paper.  Neither got done.  We went to Litza’s for Pizza with Zella Jeanne and Brent.


We love you all so very much and are grateful you are all blessings of that wonderful day!
Dad and Mom

No comments: