Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Results Aren't (officially) In!

Missed us? Well, at least it has been for a good cause. We have been wrapped up in the 8th Annual Feed the Need 5K race! It is crazy to me that we are now more than 7 years into this. As I was trying to squeeze in to a Feed the Need T-shirt for today's festivities I was reflecting on how just a day before the first FTN race 7 years ago I found out that I was pregnant with Superkid. Here we are 7 years later, FTN races have spread to 5 different communities in New England, well over 100,000 canned goods have been distributed to families in need, and the Toads are expecting their 4th little racer. Not a bad way to pass time.

I was too wrapped up in the hoopla of the event to get many pics, but I did manage to snap a few of the kid's races where some of my favorite racers gave it their best shot.

Abizella has been insisting all week that she was just going to be Superkid's cheerleader, but when she caught the scent of competition in the air she just couldn't resist.
As for Superkid, we have heard a lot of bravado around here about who is faster than fast. When it came time to put his money where his mouth is... well, let's just say at least he didn't have a false start. This group was pretty jumpy and when the officials were explaining the course and what the official start would be they kept saying, "And we'll say, 'On your mark, get set, GO!' " This group would spring into action every time. When the official start FINALLY came, Superkid was desensitized to the phrase altogether. Can you see him standing at the start line wondering why the other kids haven't been corralled back to the start line?
Well, he finally got a move on. His late start didn't extinguish his enthusiasm. He gave it his all and even received a few high fives as he cruised down the course (okay, they were from his mother, but I am just proud of his good sportsmanship!).
I got into the action for the diaper dash. Tadpole selected his lumbering mother to be his race companion. I thought Pops would be a better racer, but Tadpole and I eeked out a victory. After the big race Tadpole kept saying, "On your mark, get set, GO!" and then would sprint off with delight.

What is this Feed the Need, you may be asking? Well, my friend Jenn Ashley had this idea 7 years ago. Why not host a running event where the entry fee is canned goods? Participants would know that 100% of their entry fee actually went to the cause they came to support. What makes the races great is seeing the runners lug in their 25 cans of food to participate. When I went shopping for our family's entry fee this week, I had to pat myself on the back as I mentally calculated how many meals I could make with the food we were donating. Choosing, handling and hefting the food as a family is a great opportunity to make a difference and teach the wee ones something about what we can do for our community along the way.

As for the unofficial results.... this is the information I am privy to thus far:
9460 cans of food collected so far. 1 more elementary school still to report the results of their food drive. Amazing.

Just goes to show what a single idea of one person can become. Go Jenn!

Next week is Feed the Need Connecticut. Join us if you CAN! (get it? "CAN" he he he)

...but we will recuperate first...

2 comments:

nersey said...

Way to go Mistletoe, teaching your kids about service while also teaching them about a life time love of running. You have my vote for Mother of the Year!!

SandyKay said...

Yay for FTN!! Yay for the Super Toad Racers! (not to be confused with people who actually race toads...). Wish I could've been there. That IS an impressive number of cans. Good work!