Sunday, March 1, 2015

Rite of Passage

Superkid's first scout camp. Gulp.
The kid has never spent a night away from his parents.
 This was a little hard to take for us, not Superkid. He was pumped. We spent a month ordering equipment off the Internet to prepare Superkid from the frozen ice hell of New Hampshire. But that didn't stop us from an emergency trip to EMS the night before his departure to buy wool socks, a head lamp, sunglasses and back up boots. 
The result- an excessively accoutered scout ready to take on the elements of the back country.
Pops hauled him over to the church parking lot and handed him off to Vernon.
Then we waited. We followed the itinerary stuck to the refrigerator door avidly. Pops texted me several times a day to tell me that Superkid was out doing , "snow survival" or was at the rifle range or maybe eating lunch. We also stocked Vernon's Facebook page for information. Whenever he threw something up, I tried to play it cool by not pouncing on it and begging for antidotes. 
I just would give it a restrained "like". 
That's where we saw this post:

Quote: "This is circumstantial evidence...the many stories will lead to my conviction."

Yes, that is Vernon's truck with 3 sleds tethered to the hitch.
I wish I was a fly on that bumper.
Vernon also mentioned, "Superkid stood up had no idea where he was or what happened to everybody else, the only thing not covered in snow was his giant smile."

That's when I breathed a sigh of relief. It was good to see that he was living up to the Davis family motto, "It is better to die than to look bad."
I asked him later if he thought it was a good idea to ride behind a truck on a sled. 
His reply, "I didn't think. I was too busy having fun."

The guys also apparently dug a big pit for bonfires.
 So even though it was in the single digits and below zero they managed to keep warm.
 When Pops picked Superkid up, he asked him how the rifle range, snow survival and hiking were. Superkid said they just spent their time in the cabins playing games. 
Sounds like logical snow survival to me! Success!
 

No comments: