Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dedicated to the Honey Crisp

I *LOVE* Honey Crisp apples.
Obviously more than I love my sanity. 
The window was narrowing for Honey Crisp harvest and I counted my weekends and knew I needed to strike or loose the chance to pluck my own sweet gem of goodness straight off the tree and let it burst in my mouth. I probably eat an apple every single day, but as Honey Crisp season approaches I cannot even gag down one of those tasteless store bought apples.

So what's a girl to do? Pops was unavailable for back-up, and I couldn't be swayed. Maybe you have to have experienced an outing with Little Chief to fully appreciate the courage and effort it takes to leave the house with the little guy... not to mention the other 3 Toads and the bulging 5th. Add to that the hoards of New Englanders that descend on orchards on Autumn Saturdays. But the call of Honey Crisp cannot be ignored. So I came up with a plan. 
#1 Get to the farm right when it opens.
#2 Park *right* next to the farm store.
#3 Buy the apple cider donuts (all 3 dozen of them) 1st thing to avoid long lines and tantruming children later.
#4 Stuff a donut in everyone's mouth and toss the rest in the conveniently parked van.
#5 Hop on the hay ride out to the orchard.
#6 Cut straight to the Honey Crisps and pick 1/2 bushel (This took A LOT of self control. I normally go for MUCH more, but knew my limitations. I couldn't carry 2 giant bags of apples and a tantruming 2 year old out. I also knew I couldn't be trusted to make the socially acceptable decision between the apples and the fit throwing 2 year old, so 1 giant bag it was).
#7 Cut through the pumpkin patch for photo opp.
#8 Get out before the crowds descend.

Everything went off exactly as planned. 
So perfect that we completed steps #1-#8 in 45 minutes.
 I benevolently allowed the Toads 15 whole minutes to play at the play ground for falling in line behind my plan. No dawdling for us... we still had our monthly Costco trip ahead of us.

Here are my conquering Toads. Look, everyone made it without melting down! Even me!
The hay ride is a must. It is what Tadpole and Little Chief LIVE for.
Oh! Sweet! Honey Crisp!
A little tricky if you are missing one of your front teeth...
Okay, maybe this one was a little less sweet...
I am proud to say that apple picking is a ritual for Superkid. 
He can't imagine autumn without it.
See, I even let the troops take a break in the pumpkin patch.
I am delighted to have a fridge full of goodness and I have loved every single sweet orb. 
We had a great time. 
 I have to say that I miss all of my apple picking pals and leisurely days in the orchards. 
Okay, we are going to have to do it again, even if the Honey Crisps are past.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

So fun! Wish we were there to go with you.

Andy said...

:( What she said.

Todd found a few rolling around the produce section. Paid whatever they were asking (ridiculous). Because #1- They are delicious. #2- They remind us of you.

Boo hoo....

Jennie said...

Oh, I believe it was you who introduced the Wilde family to the exquisite beauty of the Honeycrisp and you changed our lives forever, we're forever in your debt ;)

Congrats on a mission accomplished, and on the tiny tadpole on the way!

Melonius said...

i planted a honeycrisp tree in my yard.