Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Road to 100 Miles

About 6 weeks ago, Bob Chatfield in our ward, sent out an email blast looking for anyone who was interested in re-kindling the Hingham 100 mile bike tradition. I took his bait. I responded, "I'm in. I don't have bike worthy of the feat or the proper training, but I'm in." I told Superkid about it and he wanted in too. The next day a friend at work lent me her bike. I convinced Pops that it was time for Superkid to get a new bike. Superkid and I went down to the Bicycle Link to check out our options. After trying a couple of hybrids, Superkid mounted his first road bike for a spin. When he got back from his test drive the grin on his face was so big it was immediately clear that the half-priced hybrid was not going to cut it. Not ready to spend double what we were expecting, we spent the next couple of weeks chasing Craig's List postings looking for a road worthy bike for Superkid.
Here he is with a failed Craig's List bike...

After a few failed attempts, he got an early Birthday (and Christmas) present. I've never seen a kid so pleased. And so willing to get up at the crack of dawn to go for a 50 miler! I am so happy he loves it because I am forced to live vicariously through him. I injured my knee on an unfortunate paddle board incident that has side-lined me.


I am so proud of this group. Bob is 78 years old and going strong. Amy and Jenn M. are new to the sport. Jenn A. is an old pro, but hasn't been cycling for many years. Miene is Bob's devoted daughter. Superkid wore my phone on his arm so we could track him and he could call if he had any problems. It just turned out that Pops and I intercepted this group about 2 hours into their ride as they crossed through Hingham.

I am re-bounding a little bit. I made it out on this 25 miler with the ward team. 
I haven't had this much fun in a long time. I just love it! 
It was so liberating to really fly after not exercising for 3 weeks.
Pops is a good man. Even though I have a busted knee, when this Craigslist steal came on the market, he insisted we snag it. I am so excited!
But seriously the best part for me is sharing the rides with Superkid. 
Also, chatting about the best strategies and practice routes. And we both agree the best recovery drink is definitely chocolate milk.

No comments: