The next morning I headed off for my conference and Pops headed up to the Supreme Court and Capitol. We met up that evening in the hotel and crashed before pulling it together and wandering over to the National Press Club for dinner. Labcyte was sponsoring a dinner and entertainment
(a Mentalist!- Superkid would have loved it!).
It was fun to wander the halls after dinner and see all the famous people.
And of course collect my parting gift (a wireless speaker for an iPhone).
The next day, after the conference I took a quick spin through the Natural History Museum to see a couple of my favs... The mammoth...
and the Hope Diamond, followed by a spin through the gift shop to soothe my lonely heart. Museums are better with the kids.
That was a really weird realization after 13 years of dragging disinterested tantruming kids through museums!
I next did a quick tour through the American History Museum.
I love the First Lady's exhibit!
I was struck with the disappointment of not seeing Bill Clinton's picture next to the other First Ladies- what a shame.
Later that evening Pops and I strolled down Pennsylvania Avenue past the National Archives to the Newseum.
Hamilton rented the museum for the evening and provided dinner and drinks.
There were many interesting displays like a section of the Berlin Wall and a hunk of twisted medal from the World Trade Center from 9/11.
Spectacular views of the city!
The capitol!
Front pages from major news outlets from around the world from that day...
The Boston Globe celebrates the Superbowl...
The Salt Lake Tribune completely oblivious to the Patriot's success...
Then Pops spied this gem
from the Nauvoo Times and Seasons...
The last day of our trip I met Pops at the Gallery of Art
Pops is a big fan of the American artists and their depiction of the early patriots. Pops with James Madison...
We also visited Ford's Theatre, the sight of President Lincoln's assassination.
Here is the bed that President Lincoln died in the next day.
And here are 5 stories of Lincoln biographies!
After a scrumptious dinner at Shake Shack we were off to the airport to beat the snow storm that was heading our way. It was pretty unbelievable to think about snow! It was warm and toasty in D.C., 73 degrees (a new record by 9 degrees). Luckily we got home in the nick of time. The storm arrived early the next morning, bringing more than a foot of wet snow!
1 comment:
This trip sounds amazing!!! So fun for you and pops. I still don't know what I think about your thoughts on museums being better with tantrumming kids. I suppose I'll just have to experiment and go to one with out kids. ;)
Post a Comment