Sunday, October 4, 2015

Dangers in Crafting

Abizella wants a hot glue gun- and she wants it badly. I told her that if Glama gives her the green light she could have one. So Abz called her up. Glama was clueless - and completely useless to me. Apparently Glama's experience was so horrible that she had completely blacked out the entire hot glue gun affair.

It all happened about 30 years ago. Glama was building the annual family 4th of July float. She constructed one nearly every year of my childhood- usually built on the back of Dad's motorcycle trailer, sometimes on the back of his pick-up truck. The whole garage was her float studio. This particular afternoon, I was bouncing on the trampoline, so I had front row seats to the ensuing catastrophe. Glama was armed with her trusty hot glue gun. She pushed a piece of fringe into place after laying a fresh strip of hot glue. She accidentally stuck her finger into the molten glue. Naturally the best place for a scalded finger is in one's mouth. As Glama jammed her blistering hot finger in her mouth, she burnt her lip. She made a run for the house. Unfortunately, in her haste up the back porch stairs, she twisted her ankle and fell. I'm sure the float was completed that year- but my mom had a blistered lip and finger and a sprained ankle to show for it!

After I refreshed Glama's memory- we all agreed. A hot glue gun is a dangerous thing. ...But Abz still wants one.

No comments: