Last night I read the "Selfishness Cure" chapter from Miss Piggle Wiggle to the young Toads. I took a moment to define selfishness. I said something like, "Selfishness is when you won't share your toys with anyone. It means that you only think about yourself and not how other people feel." Tadpole pulled his pensive expression and thought for a moment. Then he smiled with the satisfaction of putting together a long perplexing puzzle and said, "Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm selfish Mom." Giggling inwardly, but outwardly trying to convince him of the virtues of selflessness, I dove into the importance of treating others the way you want to be treated blah.blah.blah. and then continued reading. At some point Little Chief took hold of the Lego train Tad had made and started playing. Soon Tadpole noticed, walked over and repossessed his toy. He looked at me and said, "I'm just a selfish kid mom."Monday, November 7, 2011
Embracing Selfishness
Last night I read the "Selfishness Cure" chapter from Miss Piggle Wiggle to the young Toads. I took a moment to define selfishness. I said something like, "Selfishness is when you won't share your toys with anyone. It means that you only think about yourself and not how other people feel." Tadpole pulled his pensive expression and thought for a moment. Then he smiled with the satisfaction of putting together a long perplexing puzzle and said, "Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm selfish Mom." Giggling inwardly, but outwardly trying to convince him of the virtues of selflessness, I dove into the importance of treating others the way you want to be treated blah.blah.blah. and then continued reading. At some point Little Chief took hold of the Lego train Tad had made and started playing. Soon Tadpole noticed, walked over and repossessed his toy. He looked at me and said, "I'm just a selfish kid mom."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I love your stories. your kids really do say the funniest things! and I can't believe you moved to the A's house! awesome.
I'd say he is pretty smart. Lol! I love that little guy. It is probably a good thing we live so far apart as Tad and Coach would get into a lot of trouble together.
We love Miss Piggle Wiggle!
Sounds like Tad and Penny came from the same mold. We had a really similar discussion about being nice at our house last week. Penny will only lay claim to being "part nice". At least she is all honest.
To thine own self be true, Tadpole! LOL!
I love his self diagnosis! The funny part is he really was listening to your blah blah blah. So chances are he's listening to all the other golden nuggets your teaching him as well. What a little man he's become!
So great!
Post a Comment