Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baby Boy Turns Big Boy


A year ago this morning, I was walking along the beach with my Mom and Tadpole. Even though I had been in the throws of labor for the past week in a half, I had a suspicion that that day was the day. The contractions were about 10 minutes apart, but I wanted to freeze time and lock myself into the moment. My Mom and I watched Tadpole run, jump and splash in the tide. We enjoyed the salty breeze, soft sand and cool water on our feet. Sometimes you get moments like this. Maybe it would have made more sense to be at home watching the clock and prepping for the hospital, but I knew this was a moment that I wouldn’t get back.

I then answered a phone call. It was a job offer. That’s right, a job offer from a company that I had carted my 8.5 month pregnant body in for two separate interviews. There at the beach, between and during contractions, a job offer. That on top of a message left from my future employer calling to say they found my resume on Monster and wondered if I was interested in a job they had. It was turning out to be an interesting day.

Little Chief came into the world about 12 hours later, easy breezy. He is an answer to my great desire to squeeze in one last Toad. I would feel ungrateful if I did not acknowledge the Lord’s hand in this. It is confounding to realize that Little Chief was born when he was, that I easily got the perfect job in the perfect location exactly when I did, that Little Chief turned out to be the most easy going Toad of the bunch, and this time around I wasn’t racked with infections and nursing problems. Everything was surprisingly smooth and easy. Little Chief was a peach of an infant and as I transitioned back into the world of science I easily recalled techniques and readily understood new concepts. There is no doubt in my mind that the Lord made my burdens light, that he carried me.

I am grateful to Pops, who loves our family more than himself. Who could be kicking back in a nice downtown Boston office with some of his favorite people, doing his favorite thing. Instead chooses to be there all the time for the kids, and then work late into the night and on the weekend. It is his perspective that keeps our family on track. He carries a big load, but he knows why he does it.

I Love my Little Chief. He is a precious gift. Happy Birthday!

We kicked off the celebrations Sunday with our Rhode Island cousins.

We enjoyed the traditional spaghetti dinner, which includes the ceremonial noodle sharing of the birthday kid with cousin Andie...
Actually, Little Chief wasn't that INTO his spaghetti, even with a little coaxing...
Then he started to swat my fork out of my hand. Got it. He just needed a fork. How uncivilized of me not to offer utensils to the big boy. I then get this look of,
"Can't I get a little respect around here?"
In the end he finally picked up his plate, looked me straight in the eye, and slowly dumped it on his lap.
*Does that make you happy Mom?... you want a mess, here you go!*
Yes, it did make me very happy!
Time to haul in the cup cakes (thanks for the idea Jeni!)
*What now, you expect me to pick up a cupcake and smash it into me face?*
*Fine*
After all of the food related fun, we took to the beach. It has been a chilly year, so sadly this was our first trip of the season, and the first time Little Chief has ever gotten to have any contact with the sand.
He is a HUGE fan!
Awe. Look at my little "Tidepool Toad".
We ALL love you Little Chief!

No comments: