Friday, June 1, 2012

The "Direction" Gene





I've go this brother, he's really like none other. Although he does share one trait that all Phrogbottoms do. He is really the biggest back seat driver of all time. We all are. This is handed down from Bampa who has an opinion and well thought out route from anywhere to everywhere. I almost forgot how bad the phenotype was until I spent the week with my brother. When we were in college, we both worked at the Steiner pool together, which meant that we often worked the same shift so we could commute together. Thankfully, we both agreed that 15th East was the way to go (with the caveat of the 5:00 a.m. shift) or it could have gotten ugly...and sometimes did for my sister Mindurs who was forced to wear the "piggie helmet".

Steve was a fabulous host. Having been to Nauvoo a few times recently, and knowing the great roads of Indiana, he had a suggested route every single day. Not just suggested casually over a slice of pizza or something. But he put serious thought into each day and would call me several times with updates or to make sure I was on track. He even came up with the splendid idea of taking the detour to Springfield to see Lincoln country. And why not fly by the covered bridge capitol of Indiana? This idea appealed not only to my passion for a great route, but also my insatiable desire to cram as much as possible into each day. Some may find this back seat driver thing annoying (thankfully Pops doesn't, at least he doesn't let on to), but I find it to be nothing but the sign of an engaged mind, always plotting a course. Also completely thoughtful. So thank-you Steve. I get it.

Steve also reminded me of a Phrogbottom traveling fav., Oscar. He was with us 100% of every road trip. He was our cooler. He was loaded with diet coke and ice goodness for Bampa, and the #1 navigator spot for some lucky Phrog. Oscar was placed between the 2 front captain seats and it was here that we took turns perched, gleaning Bampa's road artistry and developing a critical eye. I often wonder how I am going to raise up the next generation of back-seat drivers with all the seat belt laws these days. I brought a kid's road atlas to entice the kids into picking a route or two, but it just isn't the same unless you are teetering around on a loose cooler with an unobstructed view of the great open road. I guess I will just have to believe in the bossy-driver gene, and cross my fingers that it is dominant.


No comments: