
In High School I drove either the family blue or grey van. Both of these vans were the real deal, not these light-weight minivans that caught on later. There was nothing I loved more than cramming my friends into the Party Van (whichever one I had at the time) and just being crazy. There were many adventures in these vans. We went to basketball and football games (which I am pretty sure I never actually watched), the movies (and then there was the time I left a few behind for calling me "Missy-Boy" after an unfortunate haircut). We even went on a few skiing trips (and Emily lost the famous "stick"). I was actually pretty prideful of my driving skills (even though I wrapped the blue van around a pole in the parking lot of Albertson's during a rain storm). My favorite thing to do was find the tightest parallel parking spot on the street and show-off.
Not only could I cram fellow party animals into the van, but also all sorts of "extras". For those of you that didn't know, Pops and I met in High School. We met on the swim team and were good friends. For his 16th birthday, which is a week after my 16th birthday, a friend of mine and I swiped a flasher barricade from the road and put it on his front porch. Leaving flasher barricades was sorta my calling card, I had this luxury because I had a means to transport such an item (and maybe felt strangely entitled because I was the Mayor's daughter). Was I ever floored when that very same flasher barricade showed up on my doorstep a year later for my 17th birthday! Only a kid who drove a giant Nova could challenge my barricade carrying capacity. He just couldn't carry the barricade and 5 of his best friends!
Well, I have never really gotten over the joy of stuffing my car with as many people as I can. These days it is more of the toddler set that I am jamming in there. I am a van type of girl. That is why I am planning a little road trip for any who are interested in a spin in the Party (mini)Van. My cousin Andy is throwing an East Coast Blogging party. I am gearing up the minivan for the trip, well at least I will throw out the 3-5 car seats that have taken up residence in there (I might even throw out some of the animal crackers and juice boxes to make more room). So if you are interested in a spin in the party van and a Girl's Night Out, let me know and I will reserve a spot for you. If you are just interested in the blogging party, I will give you directions (and if a flasher barricade shows up on your doorstep, I plead the 5th). We are looking at April 19th, if you are interested let me know!!!! ...and no worries, Andy says that she will start the party early enough that those church ladies among us can get home at a reasonable hour.
6 comments:
Sounds like fun- either type of party! Count me in!
I also have had the joy of driving a huge old van and love going to visit my sister who now has a 12-passenger van I can snag when I go west. I can't ever claim I stole any road signs though I've wanted to steal a "thickly settled" sign ever since moving to New England!
I can not parallel park. Can you give me a lesson some time?
As much as I mocked the mini van I recently drove, it is nice to be able to transport a bunch of people. I also feel safer and like sitting up higher.
I'll have to check my work schedule, but count me in...email me with more details when you have them.
Geez. The ride here sounds like more fun than the party.
It's kinda sad that I'm "stepping out from under the protection of the force" at this time. Because Oh wouldn't I love to snatch a baricade for my porch for "ambiance" the night of the party. Yea, it's all fun and games till they can take the little ones out of their car seats and put them into protective custody when they nab you.
Wow--I just learned so much about you!
Post a Comment